Saturday, April 23, 2011

I'm finally a Git convert

Well, yes... It happened. I don't know how or when but it just did. I'm now officially a Git convert. Period.

For those of you who know me you might also know that I was a huge Subversion advocate. This was also seen in the role of Subversion trainer that I inherited after a friend of mine in my current company. I was teaching and preaching SVN for the better part of this millennium. So why?

Well, there are a couple of things that distinct SVN from Git and the distributed/centralized part of it ain't the most important one. There are some key features that come out of the fact how Git works but they could work in Subversion OK if this damn thing wouldn't be so eager to use the fricken network... In this case the distributed part of Git is not so much about giving commit access to nobody besides me. It's also not about the "I can commit when I'm on the plane". I mean, come on, geeks! How many of regular developers do the coding at FL300 to avoid wiretaps? :D

The best part of Git is speed. I mean speed as in fricken space rocket! Like it or not in a corporate environment there's always going to be this "everybody on the team has commit access" thing and nothing is going to change that. Get over it! The best thing about Git is that it works just as good in a centralized environment as Subversion or even better, faster, lighter, jezzier, sexier and all that :D

One more thing: setting up Git server to host the one true version of the repository in a centralized environment is so damn easy! There's like 10 different ways with the one truly blessed prescription (Smart HTTP Transfer). Just go google it. It's amazing how incredibly fast it is! And it plays so nicely with Trac and Redmine!

Now that I have that out of my chest I'd like to say a few words about other counterparts: Bazaar, Mercurial, Monotone

If you're still using Bazaar - I'm so sorry you didn't see the light yet. There's definitely a guy sitting next to you that already knows what this Git thing is so you better ask him before you'll be left alone in the dark.

Hail to all the HG users! You're also great :D But not as jazzy and sexy as the Gitters :D

Monotone... Well.. letsnotbetohardonthoseguysastheyareprobablytheonesthatwrotethisthing...

No comments: