Saturday, March 12, 2016

Unit test coverage means nothing

If you're like me or any other person that got hooked up on TDD you might want to take a look at this presentation by the creator of Ruby on Rails on RailsCon 2014

RailsConf 2014 - Keynote: Writing Software by David Heinemeier Hansson

I think this is the missing piece of revelation that I have been looking for for years on end. It always felt like there's something wrong with the world of TDD but I just couldn't figure it out myself. I did have a project with 100% code coverage and tests running bloody fast that broke down in the first week of being online and I did write software working for 10+ years that had no tests whatsoever and still performs its duties Today without a hiccup! I also wrote a ton of software that I'm not proud of but some pieces from 17 years back when I read through them now look as though I had a genius by my side in terms of readability and clarity. This is a pure stunning experience.

Go write some code that you'll be proud reading 10+ years from now!

No comments: